With my new job of a consultant at Nurturing Green, I have been reading and writing a lot of stuff these days. I have been through the newspapers and internet for news updates and newsletters, following twitter and media for the ongoing revolutionary talks regarding plants and environment etc and all over through internet for different articles and pointers for the green revolution.
I have not read or wrote so much about the environment in these 2 years of my blogging than in just some time for them. And to tell you, I am really surprised, shocked and saddened to know the state of out nation. Its over everywhere, telling the repercussions and negative impacts of the lifestyle we are or we try to maintain. But I doubt many of us are doing something about it. What we do is read and discuss. There is sadly no pro-activeness in our approach. Now the next thing that will cross your mind will be that, even I am doing the same (a little difference that I also write about it). What difference have I made in this issue?
I will state some very easy and obvious things that I have started doing after I became more aware about the contribution we can make in the betterment of out mother nature.
- Some level of conversion into a Green Home: In my lots of articles I have written and informed all about the elements of a green home. What little amount of effort is required on our behalf to convert out abode into a green home. Just by optimizing the sunlight, using cisterns for rainwater storage or for recycling/treatment to use it for different purposes, insulating the home properly, ventilate the attic, using energy star appliances and installing solar panels can reduce the utility bills to major extend and create less havoc in the environment.
- Place lots of Indoor and Outdoor plants: Plants are the easiest way to improve environmental conditions in our surroundings. There are a large range of air purifying plants, mosquito repellent plants, H2O low maintenance plants etc which, apart from just beautifying the decor in the home will also add lots of added advantage into the home and then adjoining area. They will, infact, help you breathe fresh air without any electronic air purifier and will save the electricity. Thus saving the environment.
- Close the doors and windows during day time: Specially during summers, it is very advisable to keep the home cool and your body hydrated. I close all the doors and windows around 10 o’clock in the morning. This stops the hot waves and direct sunlight entering my home, thus keeping the home cooler. This reduces the use of air conditioners and coolers, thus saving the electricity. The basic idea is to regulate the amount of sunlight entering the home to make it more Eco friendly.
- Recycling: Yes, recycling the old stuff is one of the coolest way of helping the Mother Nature. There is lots of stuffs that we discard or throw it away. Many of those things can be recycled and reused into something very useful. This is one of the long point to discuss as everybody have a different approach towards the discarded things. I will suggest you all to follow some online videos and tutorials as they are very helpful in making some useful elements from the so called useless stuff.
- Go for Local produce: I feel this is one of the most important contribution that we should try to make for our country’s farmers and economy. As our lifestyle is progressing with the rising paychecks and packages, we are more tending towards the imported stuff than the local produce of our nation. Instead of aerated drinks, we should go for the local, homemade drinks made out of seasonal fruits and vegetables. They will not only be more healthy but will enhance the consumption, which in turn will force more growth. Similarly, go for local vegetables and fruits, snacks etc so that the money is circulated within our country and is not exported outside.
- Go more Digital: This part is easier said than done. But the minimal usage of papers will regulate the growth of trees and thus affect our lifestyle and sustainability.
These are little steps towards the era of improvement and sustainability. In this scenario where living healthy is a daily fight with pollution, population, hazards,economical crisis, social up gradation etc, lets try our bit and give our contribution to the whatever little is being done in this regard.
Happy Reading and Happy Living